A great conversation with Dr Amy Johnson on the subject of habits, compulsive eating and behaviours. This conversation really clearly highlights the misunderstanding of compulsive eating, where we spend a lifetime dealing with our thinking, what looks like the problem, and that we are all way bigger than that.
Subjects we covered:
- Why food becomes primary addiction after drugs & alcohol
- How food covers a sense of emptiness
- How using food becomes a tool for coping with emotions
- How food fills the void
- Why people gain so much weight in addiction recovery
- The wisdom in finding ways to cope
- How all addictions are the same
- And all mental health diagnosis
- Looking at the content is not helpful
- Where to start to look
- No one is compulsively eating because they are hungry!
- Escaping from a discomfort we don’t like
- Whats common in all problems
- Am I really a compulsive eater?
- How we turn thoughts into meaning – thingifying
- Why we make a case for details being real
- Being afraid of our experience
- Feelings are all ok and safe
- We always come back home
- Feeling our thinking about situations
- Whats really going on Vs what I think is going on
- Becoming aware the narrator in our mind
- Whats beyond the narrator?
- It’s ok to feel hungry
- The feeling of space
- A whole new normal takes over
- Developing a different relationship with experience
If you would like to reach out to Amy you can do so here at her website https://dramyjohnson.com/